Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thukkada

Thukkada, this is one my all time favorite snack, which I had been snacking from my childhood days. I learnt this from my mom. In my childhood days, I enjoy helping my mom in this, by making squares, by rolling the tool to cut this.  This is not very common and known snack for all. But if you try this once, you will get attracted by its taste and make again and again for sure.



Everybody who tastes this will get addicted to its taste. Many of my school and college friends are great fan of this. During festival times, my friends prefer only this thukkada, not anyother sweets. That much it is very crispy and tasty. Even kids love this, as it is not much spicy. Also we can give them this, as it does not absorb much oil.



It has a long shelf life and you can have it with same taste and crispness for weeks. Just put this in an air tight container and use it for many days. You can even maintain its crispness by placing in air tight containers.



Ingredients:

Wheat flour - 1 cup + 1/4 cup
Maida/All purpose flour - 1 cup
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Water - 1 cup
Oil - 2 cups (for deep frying)

Method:

1) Add all the ingredients, except water and 1/4 cup wheat flour, in a wide bowl.



2) Add water little by little and knead the flour. Make soft dough of it, as we make for chapathi.



3) Make small balls (lemon size), similar to that of chapathi.



4) Spread the small dough, by applying some flour (remaining 1/4 cup flour) on both the sides. Spread it as much thin as you can, so that you can get very crispy chips. You need not bother much about the size, as we are going to cut this.



5) Make small squares of it.



6) This is a special tool for making this, which I brought from my hometown. I think you can find this in any stores in southern part of India. Even if you don't have this, its not a tedious work. You can use your knife or even pizza cutter to cut this.



7) By using this tool, we can get small squares, with curves, like this.



8) Once you make squares, keep it seperated one from the other, so that it does not get stuck with each other.



9) Heat oil and drop the cut squares and deep fry it. (If you are using wide pan for deep frying, put about cut squares from 2 chapathis, else put about 1 chapathi's squares at a time, as it may become too clumpsy and get sticky)



10) It takes less than a minute to get it done. Take it out, when it turns golden brown. You can see, it puffed up very well.



Thukkada is all set to snack. It tempts me a lot and can't stop having this, anytime.



Puffy, crispy and tasty snack is ready in minutes, with just 3 or 4 handy ingredients.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving your valuable comments :) Do visit my space again for more recipes.