Thursday, April 19, 2012

French Beans Green Gram Curry

Green gram has lots of vitamins and minerals. Also the sprouted green gram has lots of nutritious value and has high fiber content. Previously, while I was in India, one of my neighbour (grandma) taught me this recipe. She used to give me lots of recipes and tips too. She will be more than 70, but for her age she does all the work. I got motivated from her a lot. She cooks really very fast and the dish will be really delicious.



This can be had with white rice or with chappathi even. If you are making this for rice, make it little thin and just mix with rice and have it. For chappathi, just make it thick. But making these kind of recipes, we can make kids eat some healthy and nutritious foods.




Ingredients:

Green gram/Mung bean (Pachai payaru) - 1 cup
Green beans/French beans - 10 (cut to 1 inch length)
Onion - 2 (1 chopped lengthwise & 1 finely chopped)
Tomato - 2 medium (cut to cubes)
Red Chilli - 2 or 3
Dhania/Corriander powder - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Cilantro/Corrinader leaves - few (to garnish)
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp

Method:

1) Heat a kadai and add the green gram. Dry roast it until it gets light brown color, just to get rid of the raw smell.



2) Transfer this to a pressure cooker. Also add the beans, 1 chopped onion and tomatoes.



3) Add about 2 1/2 to 3 cups water and add the turmeric powder.



4) Pressure cook it for about 5 or 6 whistles. Once its done, remove the lid and just smash with a smasher or with any wooden spoon.



5) Now heat a pan and add oil to it. Add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the urad dal, red chillies and finely chopped onion.



6) Saute it for a minute, until the onion becomes translucent and add the curry leaves.



7) Now add the green gram mixture to this.



8) Add the spices, chilli powder, corriander powder and also add the salt.



9) Let it boil for about 3 to 5 minutes. Finally garnish with cilantro.



Healthy and delicious beans green grams curry is now ready.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for this recipe. It was delicious! I was searching for recipes for green beans, but I was so tired last night that I was thinking of ordering take-out. Then I saw this recipe and decided to try it. The dish was quick to make ( I only did 3 whistles and it was well-cooked.) and very yummy. I served it with rice, yogurt, papads, and chips(crisps). It would have also gone w/a poriyal or fry, but it was still good without a side dish. The whole family enjoyed it, and I got compliments from DH. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving your valuable comments :) Do visit my space again for more recipes.