Dear friends, wish u all a very Happy Tamil New Year.
May this new year bring lots of happiness, good health and prosperity to all.
On this special day I am glad that this is my 25th post. Thanks to all for complementing and encouraging me with your comments and feedbacks.
On this coincidence, I am posting this Kheer/Payasam. It can be made just in minutes. But you can get the real authentic taste.
Chana Dal/Bengal Gram - 1 cup (boiled)
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Jaggery/Brown sugar (Vellam) - 1 cup
Cardamom/Cardamom powder - 4 or 5 (1/2 tsp)
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cashewnut - 3 tbsp (10 to 12)
1) Soak the dal for about 30 minutes and pressure cook it for about 3 whistles, by adding 2 cups of water. Slightly smash it and keep aside.
2) Take the jaggery in a bowl and add little water and let it stand for few minutes. Then distill it as there may be some dust or impurities in it. Also keep this jaggery juice aside.
3) Take 2 cups of milk in a pan. Let it boil and get thick.
4) Once the milk gets thick, add the cooked dal and jaggery juice.
5) Let it boil and add the cardamom or powder to the milk.
6) Now heat a small pan and add the ghee. Add the broken cashews and let it turn light brown in color.
7) Add the fried cashews to the kheer.
Delicious and tasty dal kheer is ready.