Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Green Top Red Radish Coconut Masala

Usually I used to make radish sambar with the one we get in India. Also I used to get the same here in Indian store. But once I found some green top red radishes like cherry bell shaped in vegetables aisle (noticed it for the first time).



So thought to try my radish sambar with that. Also made radish sambar with that. But I don't know if I can use those leftover greens. I surfed on the net if its edible and can be used in cooking or not. I found its edible, but has very little bitter taste in it. So thought to give a try with those radish greens. So shopped one more bunch. The leaves are little bit thick when compared to other greens.



When you get this as a bunch, wash the greens thoroughly for atleast 3 times, only then we can get rid of the sand in it. Also I gave a try and the masala came out very well. But I couldn't find any bitter taste in it. The radish with the greens tastes very good.



Ingredients:

Green top red radish - 1 bunch
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup (cooked)
Red chilli - 3 or 4
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Dhania/Corriander powder - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp

For Grinding
Coconut - 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp

Note:
a) Grind coconut and cumin seeds. Make a paste of it and keep it aside.
b) Finely chop the cherry bell shaped green top red radish, along with that green leaves.

Method:

1) Heat a pan, add oil and mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add urad dal and red chillies.



2) Then add the chopped radish along with the greens.



3) Saute for a min and add all dry powders.



4) Then add 1 cup of water and let it cook.



5) Once the radish becomes tender, add the cooked dal and coconut paste.



6) Let it cook for about 3 mins and remove from flame when thick.



Green top red radish coconut masala is all set to taste.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving your valuable comments :) Do visit my space again for more recipes.